Contact Number: 07058480245
The Environmental Management (EM) Department has five (5) divisions as follows.
(i) Natural Resources Management (NRM);
(ii) Environmental Planning and Assessment (EPA); (iii) Pollution Control (PC);
(iv) Shoreline Protection and Reclamation (SPR); and
(v) Flood and Erosion Control (FEC).
The Department has the mandate to develop appropriate and effective strategies for restoring, conserving and protecting the environment of the Region. Other responsibilities of the department are:
- Implement, sustain and monitor the prioritized restoration and conservation including protection programmes/projects in the Niger Delta Region;
- Develop intervention strategies and process that will ensure that relevant Environmental Management tools such as Environmental Sensitivity Index Mapping (ESI), Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA), Environmental Auditing and Due Diligence are utilized in determining the siting of major infrastructure and the development of natural resources with respect to all major projects to be executed by Ministry of Niger Delta Affairs.
- To develop and implement Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with effective synergies between the Ministry of Niger Delta Affairs and State Government’s organizations and other relevant stakeholders in order to avoid overlapping of projects and other activities.
Achievements of the Department (2015 – 2018)
The three projects below have been completed.
- Shore protection/land reclamation at Kurutie, Gbaramatu Kingdom, Delta State.
- Land Reclamation at Ibakang Nsisit – Ikot Ekpe – Unyehe Road, Nsit Atai LGA, Akwa Ibom State.
- Flood and Erosion control at Odwyer Street, Calabar, Cross River State.
The following projects are still Work in Progress with the following levels of completion. (%).
- Building Embankment for flood and erosion control at Mbiabo Beach of Ikon Eto, Cross Rivers State at 25%
- Canalization of Baternren-Utanoyibo Creek, Warri South LGA Delta State at 94%
- Canalization at Odoubou, Ogbabagbebe, Burutu, LGA, Delta State at 70%
- Canalization/River Training of Foupolo-Buolou Ndoro Creek, Burutu LGA, Delta State at 90%
- Erosion control works at Nkwoagu – Isuochi Umunneneochi LGA, Abia State at 62%
- Land reclamation and shoreline protection of Minima/Kalama Communities in Opobo/Nkoro LGA Rivers State at 35%
- Land reclamation/Erosion control at Essien Town, Ekorinin, Ikot Anwanti Community, Cross River State at 42%
- Land reclamation/Shoreline Protection at Amadi Ama, Portharcourt, LGA, Rivers State at 25%.
- Rehabilitation and reclamation of degraded ecosystems at Obeaku, Ukwu East in Abia State at 65%
- Remediation of oil impacted sites at Stubbs Creek, Eket, LGA, Akwa Ibom State at 41%, and
- Shore embankments and sand filling of Agbofen Area of Ode- Itsekiri, Warri South LGA, Delta State.