The Unit provides technical support and relevant geo-spatial data for policy formulation, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation in all matters relating to Surveying and Mapping in the Ministry. The Unit is under the Office of the Permanent Secretary. It is headed by a Resident Surveyor who is a Deputy Director from the Office of the Surveyor-General of the Federation.
The Survey Unit has the following functions:
- Land acquisition/Cadastral Surveys;
- Topographic Surveys;
- Engineering Surveys (Route Surveys);
- Location of Position of Boreholes;
- Right of Ways Surveys;
- Bathymetric Surveys;
- Serving as expert witnesses in court cases involving Ministry’s lands; and
- Keeping in safe custody, all survey and mapping records of the Ministry.